Installing Windows 10 can be done in various ways, but one of the easiest methods is by using a flash drive. With a flash drive, you can easily create a bootable media that enables you to install or upgrade your Windows operating system. In this article, we will show you how to install Windows 10 using a flash drive step by step.
How to Create a Bootable USB for Windows 10 Installation
The first thing you need to do is to prepare a USB flash drive with at least 16 gigabytes of storage and a Windows 10 ISO file. You can download the Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft’s official website. You also need a tool to create a bootable media. There are many tools available on the internet that you can use, but we recommend using Rufus, a free and open-source tool that is well-known for its reliability and ease of use.
To create a bootable USB using Rufus, follow these steps:
- Plug in your USB flash drive to your computer.
- Download Rufus from its official website and install it on your computer.
- Run Rufus and select your USB flash drive from the device list.
- Select the Windows 10 ISO file by clicking on the SELECT button next to the Boot selection option.
- Leave the other options at their default values, and click on the START button.
- Wait for the process to complete. It may take a few minutes, depending on your computer’s speed and the size of the ISO file.
- Once the process is completed, your USB flash drive is ready to be used for Windows 10 installation.
How to Install Windows 10 Using a Flash Drive
Now that you have prepared a bootable USB, it’s time to install Windows 10 on your computer. To do so, follow these steps:
- Insert the USB flash drive into the computer on which you want to install Windows 10.
- Restart the computer, and press the appropriate key (usually F2, F12, or DEL) to enter the BIOS setup.
- In the BIOS setup, select the boot menu and set the USB flash drive as the first boot option.
- Save the changes and exit the BIOS setup.
- The computer will now boot from the USB flash drive, and you will see the Windows 10 setup screen. Follow the instructions on the screen to proceed with the installation.
- Select your language, time and currency format, and keyboard or input method, and click on Next.
- Click on Install Now, and accept the license terms by clicking on I accept the license terms.
- Choose the Custom installation option, and select the partition where you want to install Windows 10. If you have multiple partitions, make sure to select the one where you want to install the operating system.
- Click on Next, and wait for the installation process to complete. The installation process may take some time, depending on your computer’s speed and the size of the partition.
- Once the installation is complete, you will see the Windows 10 login screen. Enter your username and password, and you’re done!
Q: Can I use a USB flash drive to install Windows on multiple computers?
A: No, you cannot use a single USB flash drive to install Windows on multiple computers. The Windows 10 license is tied to the hardware of the computer, and each computer requires a separate license. If you want to install Windows on multiple computers, you need to create a separate bootable USB for each computer.
Q: Do I need a product key to install Windows 10 from a USB flash drive?
A: Yes, you need a valid Windows 10 product key to activate your operating system after installation. You can enter the product key during the installation process, or you can skip it and enter it later in the Settings app. If you don’t have a product key, you can purchase one from Microsoft’s website or from a licensed vendor.
How to Install Windows 10 from a USB Flash Drive – Video Tutorial
If you prefer watching a video tutorial rather than reading long texts, you can watch the following video on how to install Windows 10 from a USB flash drive. The video shows you step by step how to create a bootable USB using Rufus and how to install Windows 10 on your computer.
Installing Windows 10 using a USB flash drive is a straightforward process that requires minimal technical skills. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily create a bootable USB and install Windows 10 on your computer. If you encounter any issues during the process, feel free to leave a comment below, and we’ll try our best to assist you.