Do you know how to change the name of a file or folder in Windows 8.1? It’s actually quite easy, and in this article, we will show you step-by-step how to do it.
Changing the Name of a File or Folder in Windows 8.1
Here are the steps to change the name of a file or folder in Windows 8.1:
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the file or folder that you want to rename.
- Right-click on the file or folder and select “Rename”.
- Type the new name for the file or folder and hit “Enter”.
That’s it! The name of the file or folder has now been changed.
Copying Excel File Names
Do you need to copy the names of files in a folder to Excel? Here’s how:
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder containing the files whose names you want to copy.
- Hold down the “Shift” key and right-click on the folder.
- Select “Open command window here”.
- In the command window, type “dir /b > filenames.txt” (without the quotes) and hit “Enter”. This will create a file called “filenames.txt” in the folder.
- Open Excel and go to the “Data” tab.
- Select “From Text” in the “Get External Data” section.
- Navigate to the folder containing the “filenames.txt” file and select it.
- Select “Delimited” in the “Text Import Wizard” and hit “Next”.
- Check the box next to “Tab” under “Delimiters” and hit “Next”.
- Make sure the format of the “Name” column is set to “Text” and hit “Finish”.
- The names of the files in the folder should now be displayed in Excel.
1. How do I delete a file in Windows 8.1?
To delete a file in Windows 8.1, follow these steps:
- Locate the file you want to delete.
- Right-click on the file and select “Delete” from the pop-up menu.
- Confirm that you want to delete the file by clicking “Yes”.
2. How do I create a new folder in Windows 8.1?
To create a new folder in Windows 8.1, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the location where you want to create the new folder.
- Right-click on a blank area of the window and select “New” from the pop-up menu.
- Select “Folder” from the sub-menu and then type a name for the new folder.
- Press “Enter” to create the folder.
For a visual guide on how to change the name of a file or folder in Windows 8.1, check out the video below:
That’s all for now! We hope this article has been useful in helping you to change the name of a file or folder in Windows 8.1, as well as copying Excel file names. Remember, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to consult our FAQ section or watch the video tutorial. Happy computing!